Friday, February 16, 2007

Theremin Update #1



It is shameful, next to a photo of the fabulous Clara Rockmore, to boast about this, but I JUST PLAYED "MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB" ON MY THEREMIN!!

When I got it a couple days ago, I scared my bandmate J over the telephone with the terrible noises I was making on it.

I was also concerned because when I stood on the other side of the instrument and tried to play it in reverse, I sounded better. I thought this might be one of my dexterity issues since I was originally left-handed. (Left handedness is a mark of the devil, or so believed the elderly farm couple who babysat me, and so I was "retrained".) I still do some things backwards; for example, I waited tables as a lefty and did not know it until somebody pointed it out. It hadn't occurred to me that I might need a left-handed theremin, or even that such a thing might exist! But, happily, it turned out that the volume bar had simply been assembled backwards, and so when it was fixed and I resumed my practice today, I made less horrific sounds.

I'll have some instructional videos in a couple days. But if you had a theremin in your living room, I would defy you to patiently leave it alone!

I'm going back to practice some more. I wonder what I'll play next!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I heard the fabulous theremin and it wasn't so scary...Looking forward to hearing more!

paula said...

Yaaaaaaay. Lulu, I am practicing the wedding march for you now. (That's what it's called, right? "Here comes the bride....")

I hope this comment works!

If it does: Hi MONICA!!!!!